Saturday, July 4, 2009

Field Trip to Heidelberg

I'm thinking Rick should be writing this post as a meat-club correspondent but I'll do my best;)

Today was the last of the prep-trips for the challenge (see previous posts about our trip to Oak Manor), and I have to say that this store was a great find. This afternoon we took a jaunt out to Stemmler's Meats & Cheese to pick up our 50lb freezer meat order which Rick'd ordered for us. Yep, 50lbs of meat are now in our freezer-- a mix of beef, chicken & pork which'll last us quite some time! Suddenly I'm feeling pretty carnavorific (if that's not a word, I'm making it one now).

If anyone feels like a drive, this place is worth checking out- not only do they do freezer orders, but they have a huge variety of meaty things at their fresh counter, plus oodles of local veggies, baked goods, and canned things.

Since today is Day 1 for all the challengers across Waterloo, there's a 100-Mile Challenge pot-luck to kick things off tomorrow for everyone at Oakridges Farm. I'm bringing this:

Bean Salad:

2 cups kidney beans (1 cup dried- rehydrated & cooked beforehand)
2 chopped green onions
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
pinch of salt
some chopped basil

All local!

No comments:

Post a Comment