Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Day 5- we're really doing this!

I can't believe that we're really doing this! Already it's been nearly 5 days of eating at least 95% local food. Already we're discovering that some things are easier, and others harder than we thought!

Things we thought would be harder:
Variety- we're eating a lot of different things which I was kind of worried about before. A lot of this is probably the crazy prep work we did in advance. We've scoured the region and our pantry and freezer are full, the garden is starting to provide us with some things (herbs so far, but the peppers & cherry tomatoes are coming).

Things I didn't expect:
1) It takes a lot of time to make all your meals from scratch! LOTS of time! A simple sandwich now involves everything from baking the bread to slicing cheese. I think I'm going to try and make a giant pot of soup this weekend to at least give us some quick lunch options. Also, I think I'm going to make some bread in advance and freeze it.
2) I miss weird little things like gum & mints. Oh, and I never thought I'd be researching where the water in the water cooler at work comes from.

It's been a fun experience so far, but then we still have 95 days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment