Friday, June 26, 2009

My 100 Mile Diet Starts Tomorrow!!!

Yep, that's right- we're starting early. When our house is full of local goodies and we've finished nearly all of our non-local perishables, why not? We'll be phasing it in over the next 3 or 4 days, but by the 1st we'll be up to 95% local!

Tomorrow's gonna be a busy day. We still need to get butter & meat from the butcher, sausages, apples and hopefully some local hothouse cherry tomatoes from the market.

I think I'm going to check out a new meat place- Our Farmer's Choice out on Courtland. I've heard a lot of good things about it (link). We also picked up our 2nd order from Bailey's Local Foods. We're still figuring it out (I'm still having trouble figuring out what sizes I'm ordering- for ex. how big is a quart vs a pint of strawberries?), but I'm learning what 2lbs of dried beans (not much to look at but are more than you'd think) and 10 rainbow carrots (they're HUGE!) look like. Thankfully the nice checkout volunteers are very patient, and there are always people around to point you to where things are.

2 comments:

  1. Best wishes to you! We picked up our third Bailey's order today and are loving all the local produce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Must've missed you as we were there too. Just enjoyed some strawberries and some yogourt we got Friday!

    ReplyDelete